Thursday 21 January 2016

Teaching my children life skills

I am having a guilty mum moment, those moments where you realize you have failed in some way and wish you had a TARDIS to go back and help things change.
My almost 11 year old has never peeled a vegetable, the kids barely do any chores. I write out chore charts and don't follow them up because of the arguments it causes. This is about to change, they need to learn life skills and learn that housework is just part of life.

From now on (this time I really do mean it, I am tired from doing everything and they need to learn, plus they may even enjoy it!) each night a different child will help me cook even if it is just prepping veggies.
We are going to start eating at the table, the kids who are not cooking will help each other in setting the table, the older two will help with dishes and cleaning up the kitchen after dinner.

Homework must be done before dinner or if there is no homework they may go on study ladder or do some reading. Education is important.

The twins can help fold tea towels and gather the socks and dishcloths. The older two will fold and each child will help put laundry away. I will be doing the washing of clothes and drying.

Everybody (adults included) will have their bedroom clean before bed.
Whoever uses the bathroom to shower will wipe it down when they are done.

If you take your clothes off you will take them to the laundry yourself.

Every weekend we will all pitch in to do some bigger tasks like cleaning the gardens up, prepping lunches for the week and wiping down the walls.

I asked in a parenting group I am a member in about what chores their kids do and I realized that my kids really do nothing at all, if I get everyone pitching in a little then things won't be as overwhelming for me, I know it won't happen instantly, it will take time. I think I will have more success with the kids than the husband though ;) Family is about being part of a team and working together.
My kids will have to sacrifice some of their time but I am hoping it helps us to communicate better, get them more active, learn and for us to bond better.

I have to think of some easy prep meals for the beginning, I will be assisting and think of some rewards. Maybe introduce pocket money and they get a deduction for everything they don't do and a reward for additional tasks.

I will let you all know how it goes! We are starting this immediately :)

No comments:

Post a Comment